Elder Sexual Abuse Attorney in Long Beach
Helping Families Seek Justice for Loved Ones
Most of us can’t comprehend an act as deplorable as the sexual abuse of a senior citizen. It is a personal violation of the highest order. Unfortunately, it does occur, and more often than we would like to imagine.
Like children, the elderly are highly vulnerable to sexual predators and it is our duty to protect them. If you have an elderly loved one that you suspect is being sexually abused, you need to take action to see that it ends and his or her dignity is restored. To find out what kind of legal recourse you have, call Long Beach attorney Travis Siegel of Siegel Law. Since 2002, Mr. Siegel has dedicated his practice to protecting the rights of the elderly. Call his offices at (562) 645-4145 for a free consultation.
Elder sexual abuse is one of the least-reported, least-studied, and least-understood forms of senior citizen abuse. For years it was not talked about or acknowledged. This is why so much isn’t known about this disturbing phenomenon. What we do know is:
- Females are six times more likely to experience senior sexual abuse than males.
- Only 30% of sexual assault victims over the age of 65 report their abusers to authorities.
- About 83.3% of elderly sexual abuse victims live in nursing homes or adult care facilities.
- About 76.2% cases of elder sexual abuse have at least one witness.
- In 81% of cases of elder sexual abuse, the perpetrator was the actual caregiver of the victim.
- About 67% of perpetrators of elder sexual abuse are family members of the victim.
Signs of Elder Sexual Abuse
Because the victims of elder sexual abuse are often targeted because they are heavily medicated, prone to memory lapses, suffer from dementia, unable to communicate, or feel they have no one to confide in, you’ll only know the victim is suffering sexual abuse if you look for the following telltale signs:
- The emergence of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
- Sudden difficulty with sitting or walking
- Pelvic injuries
- Bruising around the genital area or inner thighs
- Pain, bleeding, or irritation in the genital or anal area
- Torn, stained, or bloody undergarments
- Elevated level of agitation in the patient
- Depressed, embarrassed, or frightened mood
- Social withdrawal
- Panic attacks or post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Inappropriate or unusual sexual behavior
- Suicide attempts
In many ways, elderly people in assisted living facilities are the perfect victims for sexual predators. Many of them are in the latter stages of dementia and aren’t always sure what’s going on. In other cases, the victim may be aware of what is happening, but unable to communicate information about the assaults to his or her family. Some predators will use threats and intimidation to keep their victims quiet.
If you have loved ones in a nursing home or assisted living facility it’s important that you pay close attention to their moods and physical condition when you visit. If you notice any signs of sexual abuse, you need to consult a seasoned elder abuse lawyer. Long Beach elder abuse attorney Travis Siegel of Siegel Law cares deeply about the plight of the elderly, and will fight to get you the compensation you deserve. Call Siegel Law at (562) 645-4145 today for a free case evaluation.
What Sets Our Elder Abuse Lawyer Apart?
Advocating for Victims of Abuse & Neglect Since 2002
Attorney Travis Siegel of Siegel Law has fought elder abuse and medical malpractice for more than a decade. After a tragedy occurred in his own family, he became a lawyer to ensure that others don’t suffer in the same way. He focuses his practice exclusively on elder abuse cases. He has recovered millions of dollars for clients and garnered selection for Best Lawyers in America® 2016.